View looking north from the junction of Kennington Park Road, Lower Kennington Lane and Newington Butts. The newly-created opening behind the lamp-post, is that for Dante Road, marking the boundary of Lambeth Borough. Charles Woolley noted that a Dr Barlow, who lived in Churchyard Row, when young studied Dante beneath an old walnut tree in Rectory Field. Upon seeing the construction of the road, he pleaded for the tree to be spared. However, this was unsuccessful but the contractors promised to name the road in memory of his childhood pastime. The parish church of St Mary Newington, seen in the background, was demolished for road building in 1876 and a new church was built nearby. Photographed by William Strudwick (1834-1910).
|Identifier:||S3196 / 58|
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #INNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES #Photograph #RELIGION #ROADS AND STREETS #SHOPS AND SHOPPING #STREET FURNITURE #Strudwick Photographer