Norwood Ward, showing its mainly rural aspect, with the main areas of development centred around the High Street, Knights Hill, St Luke's Church and the Cemetery. The cemetery was designed by Sir William Tite in 1837 and contains many elaborate memorials. Some of the famous graves include; Mrs Beeton (d.1865) Sir William Napier (d.1860) and Sir William Cubitt(d.1861). West Norwood station on the Wandsworth Common, Crystal Palace line was opened in 1858. Tulse Hill Station, to the north of the Ward was built in 1869, connecting Herne Hill with the Peckham to Streatham line. Extract from the 'Plan of The Parish of Lambeth, showing its Divisions into Wards and Ecclesiastical Districts', surveyor Hugh McIntosh, 1876.
#1876 - 1900 #BURIAL GROUNDS AND CEMETERIES #Print #ROADS AND STREETS #TRANSPORT