Rear view from the grounds showing the convent building and the tennis courts. This large mansion at one time was the residence of Robert Thornton, son of John Thornton. In 1851 the estate was bought by an order of Belgian nuns and was run as a convent school. In 1939 the sisters left and the estate became derelict. After the war the Notre Dame council housing estate was built on the site.Ref: SP112Postcard
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.