Renumbering plan for Oakley Street incorporating Gibson Street at the Waterloo end. Public houses shown are the Earl Grey, the Barley Mow and Oakley Arms. Owners listed include J.H. Kluge, James Philpot, Avens & Sons, Mrs E. Florence and Rev. J.G.Gregory. The founder of the supermarket chain, John James Sainsbury, was born on 12th June 1844 at No.5 Oakley Street and took his first job aged 14 with a grocer in the New Cut. The street was renamed Baylis Road on 16th May 1938 by the L.C.C.From the Street Renumbering/ Renaming Files, dated 2nd March 1877.Ref: LBL/DCEPS/SL/1/77
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.