The original Moffat Institute for Christian Work in Lambeth, was opened in Esher Street, now Aveline Street, in 1875. Members of the Brixton Congregational Church, inspired by the missionary zeal of Rev. Baldwin Brown and later Rev Bernard Snell, organised activities included free education for adults and children, penny dinners, social evenings, and sewing classes for girls in these premises. Photographs from a booklet about the Moffat Institute by Rev Bernard Snell, published in 1896.
|Identifier:||S328/6 p.38 and 39|
#1876 - 1900 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #EDUCATION #Photograph #RELIGION #Surrey Pamphlets #VAUXHALL #WELFARE AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS