Single Image Page

OVAL, KENNINGTON

OVAL, KENNINGTON

A match in progress at the Oval cricket grounds in Kennington. Built on Duchy of Cornwall land the distinctive oval shape was created c.1789 when a new road was laid out on land held by nurserymen William Malcolm and James & George Mitchelson. In 1790 it was leased to the Mitchelsons as a market garden and later various housing plans were rejected by the Duchy. In 1845 Mr Houghton of Brixton Hill proposed a 'Subscription Cricket Ground' and was accepted as the leasee for the Montpellier Club for 31 years lease at £120 pa. The club playing the first game in March of that year, after 10,000 turves from Tooting Common had been laid by Mr South a greengrocer. The Surrey Club, founded in the Horn Tavern 4 months earlier, initially shared the ground before becoming the leaseholder. This picture shows the pavilion built in 1895-7 by the architect Thomas Muirhead. Photograph from Kelly's Directories, c.1905.
Details
Collection:South London News Cuttings Vols.
Image type:Photograph
Artist:
Ref:02046
Identifier:LBL/DAS/RL/1/3/1 p98
Date:c.1905

#1901 - 1925  #ARCHITECTURE / BUILDINGS  #KENNINGTON  #Newspaper Archive  #Photograph  #RECREATION AND LEISURE  #SPORT 

Buy This Print

Buy This Print


Size Price (inc VAT) Shipping UK
(6"x4" & 10"x8" £2.50)
(Other £3.99)
Worldwide
(£5.99)
6"x4" £8.75
10"x8" £15.50
16"x12" £25.00
20"x16" £31.25

Other Photos Nearby

Other Photos Near Map

.