A watercolour by James Lawson Stewart (1829 -1911) annotated 'Houses in New Princes Street, Lambeth'. This area adjacent to the Thames was demolished and replaced by the embankment in the 1860s, however a small section of Princes Street remains, although now referred to as Albert Embankment. Stewart painted views of the streets and buildings of the cities where he lived, drawing from life or after earlier prints and drawings, and these watercolours were given to his landlord in lieu of rent. The scene depicted here is perhaps taken from an earlier photograph of c.1865 by William Strudwick.Ref: 2010/18
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.