ROBERT THORNTON PROPERTY, CLAPHAM COMMON SOUTH SIDE
'Plan annexed to printed particulars on the sale by Robert Thornton Esq.' Robert inherited the estate from his father John, a philanthropist who lived here until his death in 1790. In 1851 the estate was again for sale and bought by an order of Belgian Catholic nuns for a convent school. In 1939 the sisters left and the estate became derelict until after the war when the Notre Dame council housing estate was built on the site. The Thornton's Orangery survives and is marked on this plan as 'Greenhouse', although the adjacent canals have been filled in. The Rookery opposite on the Common is also featured.Ref: 22/1810/MF
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.