The Royal Cobourg later the Old Vic, was designed by Rudolph Cabanel and opened in 1818. A contemporary description in the Gentleman's Magazine observed: 'There are two tiers of boxes. These, as well as the whole interior of the theatre, are painted a fawn colour, ornamented with gold wreaths of flowers, and in the centre of each box is an allegorical painting. The pit and gallery are so constructed, that every part of the stage (which is very spacious) may be viewed from them. The drop scene is a view of Claremont.' It was renovated in 1824 with some changes to the main facade and again in 1833 when it was renamed the Royal Victoria Theatre. Engraving by unknown artist, c.1835Ref: SP12/951/VIC.3
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.