ROYAL VICTORIA COFFEE PALACE & MUSIC HALL, WATERLOO ROAD
The stalls and boxes at the Royal Victoria Coffee Palace and Music Hall, Waterloo Road. The two singers were captioned as 'Burnt-cork Minstrelsy' referring to the blacking-up of white performers with burnt corks to portray black entertainers. These premises were leased in 1881 to Emma Cons, who initiated the Coffee Tavern movement, opening as a respectable establishment for entertainment with coffee and soft drinks. It is now the Old Vic Theatre. Engraving by G. DurandRef: LBL/DAS/RL/1/1/p.4
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.