View north, probably from Kennington Lane, Vauxhall. The photograph is annotated 'Site of Vauxhall Gardens'. The Gardens closed in 1859 and over the next decade terraces of Victorian houses were built across the site. These streets; Auckland, Gye, Glynn and Italian Walk, were then cleared and the area developed as Spring Gardens, the first phase of which was opened on 9th October 1976. The park was renamed Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens in 2012.
#1926 - 1950 #HOUSING #Photograph #VAUXHALL