The proposed site for a National Theatre, between Waterloo Bridge and Hungerford bridge, as it appeared in 1948 showing the shot tower on the left. Built in 1826 for the manufacture of leadshot, the tower survived until the early 1960s. In the background on the right is the Red Lion Brewery founded in 1837. This area was demolished for the Festival of Britain in 1951, and the Royal Festival Hall was built on the site as part of the exhibition. Photograph and article published in the Sphere, April 10th 1948.Ref: Cuttings File 184
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.