The proposed site for a National Theatre, as it appeared in 1948 showing the shot tower in the background on the left. Built in 1826 for the manufacture of leadshot, the tower survived until the early 1960s. On the right is the Red Lion Brewery founded in 1837 and built to the designs of Francis Edwards. This area was cleared for the Festival of Britain in 1951, and the Royal Festival Hall was built on the site as part of the exhibition. The Coade stone lion seen on the top of the building was salvaged at the request of George VI and is now located at Westminster Bridge approach. Photograph and article published in the Sphere, April 10th 1948.Ref: Cuttings File 184
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.