St James's church, Knatchbull Road seen from the east across a field of cabbages. The foundation stone for the church was laid on 19th June 1869 and the architect was George London. The building was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester almost a year later on 27th June 1870. The market garden adjacent was soon developed with housing for Upstall Street and Paulet Road. Listed Grade II in 1979, the church was deconsecrated in 1981 and soon after converted into housing by the Black Roof Housing Association.Photograph by W. GastinranRef: SP16/713/JAM.2
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.