St James's Church in Park Hill, Clapham, was built in 1828 to a design by Lewis Vulliamy who lived at No.53 South Side. The church was enlarged in 1871 by F.J. & H. Francis, but destroyed by a bomb on 16th September 1940. Over 300 people were sheltering in the vault at the time, but survived unharmed. It was rebuilt in 1957-8 to a design by N.F. Cachemaille-Day, although the earlier vault still survives and among the internments is that of John Hatchard, bookseller of Piccadilly, who lived on North Side and died in 1849. Photograph by Francis Frith & Co., dated 1898.
#1876 - 1900 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #CLAPHAM PARK #Frith #Photograph #RELIGION