St John the Divine, was built in 1870-4 to the designs of George Edmund Street and was considered one of his best works. The church was damaged by bombing during World War II with most of the original interior and stained glass destroyed. Although the church was restored by H.S. Goodhart Rendel in 1958, much the surrounding area became housing estates and new residential complexes. Photograph from The Borough Pocket Guides, No 447 for Lambeth, 1910.
#1901 - 1925 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #Photograph #RELIGION #Surrey Pamphlets