St John the Evangelist, Waterloo from the south-east corner of the churchard. St John's was built in 1824 and is often referred to as a 'Waterloo' church, assumed to have been erected along with 5 others in the parish, to commemorate victory in the Napoleonic wars. However the churches were built under an Act of Parliament passed before the wars in 1818, to provide places of worship in 'populous places'. A bomb destroyed much of the interior in 1940, but luckily not one of the 150 people sheltering beneath in the crypt was harmed. St John's was restored in 1951 as the parish church to the Festival of Britain and has again recently undergone restoration.Watercolour by G.Yates, dated 1826.Ref: SP12/713/10.JOH
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.