Single Image Page

ST JOHN’S CHURCH, WATERLOO ROAD, WATERLOO

ST JOHN’S CHURCH, WATERLOO ROAD, WATERLOO

Exterior of St John's, Waterloo Road. The church was built in 1824, and is often referred to as a 'Waterloo' church, assumed to have been erected along with 5 others in the parish to commemorate victory in the Napoleonic wars. However the churches were built under an Act of Parliament passed in 1818, before the wars, to provide places of worship in 'populous places'. A bomb destroyed much of the interior in 1940, but luckily not one of the 150 people sheltering beneath in the crypt was harmed. St John's was restored in 1951 as the parish church to the Festival of Britain and has again recently undergone restoration. Photograph by Sydney Newbery
Details
Collection:Department of Town Planning
Image type:Photograph
Artist:Newbery
Ref:08846
Identifier:LBL/DTP/UD2/1/12/506
Date:c.1970

#1951 - 1975  #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE  #Department of Town Planning  #Photograph  #RELIGION  #WATERLOO 

Buy This Print

Buy This Print


Size Price (inc VAT) Shipping UK
(6"x4" & 10"x8" £2.50)
(Other £3.99)
Worldwide
(£5.99)
6"x4" £8.75
10"x8" £15.50
16"x12" £25.00
20"x16" £31.25

Other Photos Nearby

Other Photos Near Map