The south-east entrance to Lambeth Parish churchyard at St Mary's, although the notice on the gate pier states that Lambeth Cemetery was then at Tooting, Surrey, burials here having ceased in the early 1850s. Charles Woolley observed in 1915, 'the portentous, 'prodigous', lamp-posts have since been relegated to obscurity, and the entrance lights are now place upon the pillar caps'. The church was closed in 1972, but is now restored as the Museum of Garden History in honour of the two John Tradescants, royal gardeners of the 17th century, buried in the graveyard along with Vice-Admiral William Bligh, captain of the Bounty.Photographed using the 'wet plate' method by William Strudwick (1834-1910).Ref: S 3196/41
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.