Single Image Page

ST MATTHEW’S, BRIXTON

ST MATTHEW’S, BRIXTON

St Matthew's church on Brixton Hill, seen from the Town Hall. The church is often referred to as a 'Waterloo church', assumed to have been erected along with 5 others in the parish to commemorate victory in the Napoleonic wars. However, the churches were built under an Act of Parliament passed in 1818, before the wars, to provide places of worship in 'populous places'. The graveyard in the foreground became a public garden in the 1950s. The building has been partly converted into a community meeting and entertainment venue.
Details
Collection:
Image type:Photograph
Artist:
Ref:07628
Identifier:SP16/713/Matew.9
Date:c.1954

#1951 - 1975  #BRIXTON CENTRAL  #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE  #OPEN SPACES  #Photograph  #RELIGION