View of the west side of Stockwell Park Road, showing St Michael's church and adjoining houses. The church was built at a cost of £4,918 to the designs of William Rogers in 1840-1 on land given by William Cox. In 1880 the layout was altered, moving the altar from beneath the tower arcade to the west end, where a new apsidal chancel replaced the original porch. The exterior was restored with new pinnacles in 1896, and the interior renovated in 1920 by A.R. Powys. Damaged in June 1944 by a flying bomb, it was restored and re-dedicated in 1952. Coloured engraving by R. Radclyffe of a drawing by T. Allom for Brayley's History of Surrey, c.1842.
#-Before 1850 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #Engraving #RELIGION #STOCKWELL