The fund to build St Philip's church in Kennington Road, was begun in 1849 and 'intended as a thank offering church in gratitude to the Almighty, for their preservation from cholera'. The original design was to accommodate 1,000 people, the Â£2,492 cost of the land was additional to Â£5,000-6,000 of construction. It was reported at the time that there were about 6,000 parishoners in the assigned district, the great majority were 'labouring classes'. The church was consecrated in 1863, but bombed in WWII, declared redundant in 1975 and demolishedthe following year. From the 'Illustrated London News', dated 1st August 1863.Ref: Cuttings 713
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.