'Stockwell Baptist Church in South Lambeth Road, in 1866, showing semi-paving of footway and also the old-fashioned form of roadway kerbing. This was a highly favoured rural residential spot at this date, and was much esteemed. The ladies' dresses show that this was the crinoline age. The portrait with the hand to the waistcoat opening, is that of the late Mr James Stiff, the Lambeth potter, and of Mr Higgs, with the paper in his hand,' - Charles Woolley, 1915. Mr Stiff paid for the building of the chapel by Mr Higgs. Photograph by William Strudwick, dated July 1866.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #Photograph #RELIGION #STOCKWELL #Strudwick Photographer #TRANSPORT