View looking across Stockwell Green towards Stockwell Road. The Green itself remained open until 1876 when Mr Honey, the freeholder, claimed the rights to use the land for building purposes. Charles Woolley noted in 1915: 'The whole of this open space has been built upon, with the exception of a narrow alley, the public right-of-way as regards which, could not be contested. The ownership of Stockwell Green, public or private, was the subject of much litigation and outcry.' Photographed using the 'wet plate' method by William Strudwick (1834-1910).
#1850 - 1875 #OPEN SPACES #Photograph #STOCKWELL #Strudwick Photographer