STOCKWELL ORPHANAGE: UNVEILING COMMEMORATIVE STONE
Unveiling of stone in Stockwell Park High School. The stone commemorates the fact that the children of Stockwell Orphanage were cared for on that site from 1867 to 1939. The stone bears the inscription: 'The Stockwell Orphanage founded by Charles Haddon Spurgeon. On this site stood the homes and school for 500 boys and girls 1867 to 1939. Now at Birchington, Kent'. Present in the photograph (from left to right) are: Rev. H. Tydeman Chilvers, a past President of Stockwell Orphanage; Arnold S. Clark, then Chairman of the Trustees of Spurgeon's Homes; and W. H. Fitzpatrick, Old Scholar (who was cared for in Stockwell Orphanage from 1895 to 1900), and retired Company Secretary and Director of Higgs and Hill, the London-based building contactors. The stone was unveiled by Mr Fitzpatrick and dedicated by Rev. Tydeman Chilvers on Saturday, 12 March 1960 in the presence of about 200 Old Scholars and friends. The stone was accepted on behalf of London County Council by Mr. Harold Shearman, Chairman of the Education Committee. Taken from Within Our Gates, Summer 1960, the quarterly magazine of Spurgeon's Homes. Original image and copyright held by Spurgeon's Child Care Trust.Ref: IV/243/1-6, SPd 3573
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.