The mainly residential area lying between Brixton Road and Clapham Road that makes up the Stockwell Ward has three noteworthy landmarks. Rev.C.H. Spurgeon's Stockwell Orphanage, top right, replaced the workhouse atmosphere of its predecessors with education and a decent standard of living. Just below the orphanage the Training College for School-mistresses, another progressive educational and residential institute for students over 18, trained teachers at a fee of Â£80 for 2 years. The South Western Fever Hospital seen at the centre was established by the Metropolitan Districts Asylums Board (later the LCC) in 1870. It was almost completely rebuilt in the 1990s and is at present the Lambeth and Maudsley N.H.S. Trust. Extracts from the map of the Metropolitan Borough of Lambeth showing the wards, parliamentary divisions and subdivisions into poling districts, 1918.Ref: 2/1918/MF
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.