Surrey Lodge Dwellings (South Lambeth Dwellings) on the corner of Lambeth Road and Kennington Road, Lambeth were built c.1880 for the South London Dwelling Company to the designs of Mr E. Hoole. Emma Cons and her niece Lilian Baylis lived in two of the cottages, Nos 5 and 6 Morton Place. The dwellings replaced Surrey Lodge, which was for years the official residence of the Clerk of the Peace and once the home of Sir James Wyatt. This frontage on Lambeth Road was destroyed by a flying bomb in WWII. The site became a students' hostel in the 1970s, which was converted into a Days Inn hotelEngraving by Jewitt and Co., from The Builder, Vol.41, November 5th 1881.
|Identifier:||Bldr. Vol.41/ p.574|
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #Engraving #HOUSING #LAMBETH