View of entrance gates at The Grove off Clapham Common. Now known as Crescent Grove, the estate was laid out in 1824 by Francis Child with a curving terrace (formerly The Crescent) and a straight terrace (formerly The Grove). This view is possibly of the entrance to Grove Lodge, the former home of Henry Twining the tea merchant. It was renamed Holmwood, but demolished in 1936.Watercolour by H. Hopley White, dated September 1851.
|Image type:||Watercolour Painting|
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #CLAPHAM #OPEN SPACES #Watercolour Painting