View north from The Pavement to Old Town Clapham, taken by Henry Deane. The building on the left was the Clapham Fire Brigade and in the small cottage opposite was a toy shop run by Alexander Thornton and his sister Hannah. The Cock Tavern is just visible on the right.Deane was the local chemist and a keen amateur photographer. His pictures are the earliest photographic record of Clapham and his shop at 17 The Pavement, still stands today. In 1843 he married Jemima Elliott, who ran a school at Weimar House. He was also a churchwarden. Copy print c.1930 from original photograph.
#1850 - 1875 #CLAPHAM #EMERGENCY SERVICES #FOOD AND DRINK #Photograph #ROADS AND STREETS #TRANSPORT