The former Orangery of the Thornton mansion, was built in 1793 from Portland stone with Coade stone decoration and originally had glazed double sashes to protect plants. In 1851 the estate was bought by an order of Belgian Catholic nuns and run as a convent school. In 1939 the sisters left and the estate became derelict until the Notre Dame council housing estate was built on the site in 1947-52.
|Collection:||Department of Town Planning|
#1951 - 1975 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #CLAPHAM #COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY #Department of Town Planning #Photograph #TRADE