The tomb of Elias Ashmole (1617-1692) in St Mary's Lambeth. The epitaph was recarved in 1853 at a cost of Â£27 and the black marble ledger was replaced at the foot of the Vestry door - its original resting place. Ashmole was a close friend of his neighbour John Tradescant the Younger, from whom he inherited the Tradescant collection which was subsequently bequeathed to Oxford University to found the Ashmolean Museum.Watercolour from the parish record book marking the restoration of the tomb. This was bound with the record of the subscription and deposited in the chest of Lambeth Parish in its Vestry Room by James Forbes Young, Treasurer of the fund.Ref: P1/90/2
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.