Frontispiece to 'Museaum Tradescantianum, or a Collection of Rarities preserved at South-Lambeth neer London, by John Tradescant'. This was a catalogue published in 1656 for Britain's first museum open to the public, a collection begun by John Tradescant the Elder and continued by his son, also John. The younger Tradescant died in 1662 and, although it continued to be displayed in South Lambeth by his widow Hester, once she had died (found drowned in a pond), the collection was removed by Elias Ashmole to become part of the Ashmolean Museum's founding collection in Oxford.Ref: 12/57 Res
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.