Tulse Hill Secondary (Comprehensive) School was built on the former playing fields of Strand Grammar School to a design by LCC chief architect J.M.Kidall. It was opened in September 1956, and was the largest school in London when built at nine storeys high with four lift shafts, each capable of moving a whole class from floor to floor. The school roll of 1,850 boys (later rising to 2,200) included Ken Livingstone, the first Mayor of London. The school was closed in 1992 and the site was subsequently developed for housing. Photograph dated July 1991.
|Collection:||Department of Town Planning|
#1976 to date #Department of Town Planning #EDUCATION #Photograph #TULSE HILL