Vauxhall ward and part of Stockwell and North Brixton wards seen here reflect the changes in the area from the beginning of the 1800s, specifically the opening of the Vauxhall Bridge in 1816. Few fields remain owing to the growing trend of terraced and semi-detached housing, bearing witness to the demand for affordable housing in and around London which had resulted in the subdivision of big estates and the disappearance of large mansions. However, the villa type town house is still being constructed for the growing wealthy middle class. Beaufoy's Vinegar works, visible in the top left, is one of the larger industries in the ward, manufacturing both malt-vinegar and British wines as 'Sweets'. In 1870 tram services started from the Horn's Tavern along Brixton Road to the junction with Stockwell Road. Clapham Road and Brixton Road, two important Roman thoroughfares run through this area converging at St Mark's church, Kennington. Extract from the 'Plan of The Parish of Lambeth, showing its Divisions into Wards and Ecclesiastical Districts', surveyor Hugh McIntosh, 1876.Ref: 2/1876/M183
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.