William Wilberforce (1759-1833), lived in Broomfield Lodge, later called Broomwood House, in Clapham West Side from his marriage in May 1797 until May 1808 when he moved to Kensington Gore. He successfully campaigned against the slave trade as an MP in the late eighteenth century, together with his friend and fellow MP, Henry Thornton, who lived nearby at Battersea Rise. They were both prominent members of the Clapham Sect, and a plaque commemorating Wilberforce still exists on 111 Broomwood Road. Engraved by G.Parker from an original drawing by H.Edridge, published by Westley & Davis.Ref: SP22/41/WILB.E.3
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.