The Brixton Hill windmill was built 1816-17 and leased by John Ashby as a 'Brick corn Mill'. By 1862 the surrounding area had become too built-up for it to operate efficiently, so the sails removed and machinery was changed. It was used for storage for a short time and returned to milling from 1902 to 1934 being steam and then gas-driven, by the firm of Ashby.In 1955 the mill was purchased by the London County Council and re-opened as part of Windmill Gardens in 1962, adjacent to Blenheim Gardens, Brixton Hill.Ref: SP16/590/BRI.7
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.