Invitations to the Christmas dinner and New Year's Day luncheon at the Navillus Restaurant and Women's Voluntary Service Centre in Norwood. The Navillus was opened in Norwood High Street as a communal feeding centre, funded by an Argentinian business man, John Sullivan, and run by WVS member Vera Calvin. She also opened an evening social club to provide entertainment for the forces stationed locally. Vera had joined the WVS in 1938 helping to set up other feeding centres and she began 'meals on wheels' for the eldery in Southwark with hay boxes to keep the food warm in transit.Digital image by kind permission of Vera Calvin. From the Lambeth Archives Home Front project 2005.
|Home Front Project 2005
#1926 - 1950 #CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS #FESTIVALS #GROUPS AND SOCIETIES #Home Front Project 2005 #ORGANISATIONS #WAR AND ARMED FORCES #WEST NORWOOD